Follow by Email

Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Diagnosis fit for a King


I was wondering since I started blogging on the issue of madness about what diagnosis one could give to a psychiatry, the psychiatry as science and academic domain. Surely I thought, they (the psychiatrists) did probably reflect on that profound existential question? Because when you deal day after day, year after year, century after century with diagnoses, then one would stop for a moment and ask him or herself – wait a moment, and how exactly do I come up in the picture?

You see, I did reflect on the issue. It started even to bother me to a certain extent as how can one reach the unreachable? True, there are groups (usually created by angry mental patients with whom I certainly sympathise), they are protests and organisations created against the psychiatry, but it is all in vain. It is like shouting into the wilderness, because for a start, some things from the psychiatry do help, not all of them are idiots and most importantly, they don’t even listen to all this critique. Why should they?

As Nietzsche once asked the same question but in a more philosophical way: “Why does man not see things? He is himself standing in the way. He conceals things.”

Funnily enough, he answered the question about the state of psychiatry today. The psychiatry conceals things.

Let me give you an example. For instance, if you are mental, go to your doctor (the psychiatrist) and offer to switch your medication to Seroquel, or if you are already on Seroquel, then ask to switch to Zyprexa. I am ready to make a bet with you on some good money that the first reaction from the doctor will be: ‘What is the name again?’ Before he reaches to that enormous book of theirs which I assume to be the dictionary of different pills.

You see my point? They don’t know themselves what they are doing exactly. Don’t take me wrong, I am not against the psychiatry and I met a few very nice people from the profession, but lately I started to get this impression, that they are bored to death, all of them.

We need to shake things up a little bit. Because as Robbie Williams sings: “And in my confusion I have the right to reign”, the psychiatry is based on confusion (watch Robbie’s video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKt9-SWKDvg).

Take their manual on diagnoses and you will see my point. I started to yawn on the second page.

However, when I googled ‘diagnosis for a psychiatry’, the first item on the list (funnily enough) appeared to be ‘Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders’, and so, reluctantly at first, I decided to come up with the diagnosis for the profession from their own ‘A La Recherche du Temps Perdu’ (but of course, Proust is much more interesting than the manual, even if I never arrived to the last volume).

The diagnosis was looking at me right at my face. Gazing at me intensively, because it is something I am familiar with myself. I even chuckled because it was so obvious!

The diagnosis fit for the science of psychiatry is called DELUSION OF GRANDEUR.

To spare you from the ordeal of going through their diagnostic and manual, I will just re-adjust slightly the definition given by the free online dictionary. Delusion of grandeur is believing that you are much greater, more powerful and more influential than you are.

So, for instance, if I tell the psychiatrist that I am a Queen, he prescribes me an anti-psychotic, because he has more power. But essentially we suffer from the same: I believe in my superiority and so does the psychiatrist.

Watch the amazing video by The Avalanches ‘Frontier Psychiatrist’ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0&feature=kp)
 
(picture found on juneshlam.com)

No comments: