Follow by Email

Thursday, May 22, 2014

A note on delusions


We all have to deal with them on occasions. A recent example involves a certain Robbie Williams who assumed that he met a certain Maradona.
 

It appeared, however, that Maradona wasn’t real, but was a look-alike.

So, what Robbie Williams experienced was actually ‘a hallucination’. But it can also be put into the domain of delusions. An entry in Wikipedia defines delusion as “a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.” So, when Robbie Williams met Maradona (or look-alike) he, in fact performed a delusion of grandeur, which some compare to narcissism. Not only did he truly believe that Maradona was real, he also put the picture on his site, proving to everyone that he is not right in his head.

However, if we look closely at the picture of Robbie Williams and Maradona, I can say with a hundred percent certainty that it is indeed Maradona. So, when I say this, am I delusional as well?

This is a question indeed. It reminds me of the line from the song by the SunPilots, such as “Deep in a forest of a penicillin mind, where all my illusions are dissolving in deconstructed time” (the song can be listened to on http://thesunpilots.bandcamp.com/track/chapter-iii-god-science). So basically, what they are saying is that it is up to us to decide about the state of our own delusions.

I am writing all this because today I decided to tackle one of my past delusions. I am saying ‘past’ because I changed my mind on the matter after I recovered from one of my psychotic episodes.

The delusion was the following: “In my past life I was Queen Victoria.” I discarded this belief because when I thought about it, it wasn’t following the stream of my other past lives. In one of these I was Catherine the Great, and so being also the Queen Victoria appeared to be slightly too much.

However, the picture of Robbie Williams with Maradona made me to return to this delusion and consult some oracles on the matter.

Since I acquired recently some Meditation cards from the Buddhist centre, asking them for an advice seemed like a perfect choice, indeed, since they do believe in reincarnation.

And curiously enough, the card ‘Our Precious Human Life’ fell from the pack, informing me that:

“Our human life is precious, rare and immensely meaningful. Due to their previous deluded views that denied the value of spiritual practice, those who have taken rebirth as animals, for example, now have no opportunity to understand or practice Dharma” (Geshe Kelsang Gyatso 2013).

So, the answer seems pretty much obvious. In one of my past lives I was an animal.

Something which I knew already.

But just when I thought I reached some conclusion, Madonna sung in the background:

“If you were the Mona Lisa

 You'd be hanging in the Louvre

 Everyone would come to see you

 You'd be impossible to move

 It seems to me is what you are

 A rare and priceless work of art”

Mona Lisa??? I will meditate on that one for now.
 (picture found on bipolarhappens.com)

No comments: