Follow by Email

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Madness and zombielism

I shared a term today in the comments under one of the articles in the Guardian newspaper and decided that I should position it in terms of madness. So, the term I shared is zombielism and I revealed it under the article which discussed whether revolution is possible nowadays.
To be clear what I think about the possibility of revolution in our current society I should first define zombielism.
Zombielism is a virus affecting the current population of the world (mostly in the Western Hemisphere) in a sneaky and intelligent way. It is the force through which capitalism operates in society as we gradually moved into the age of liquid modernity (I borrow the term from a remarkable book by Zygmunt Bauman). It is a condition affecting us in such a way that it is hardly noticeable, or in the case that it is noticeable, the main culprit remains invisible (capitalism), and that’s why it is a state in which the world population finds itself, happily and uncomplainingly, while being half-asleep.
I do hope that it emerges quite clearly that I don’t believe that revolution is possible. Well, not now, not when most of us are asleep.
But so, regarding madness. When I was a couple of times in a psychiatric hospital, I did hear similar thoughts to mine coming from the patients. They all say, and in unison that the current world is mad.
Pondering over the issue, and in particular, over why people who say it are considered as mad, I think that I did come up with a spectacular explanation to the problem. For instance, if you say it behind the doors, quietly behind the scenes, or share it in a caravan-style critique (to borrow another term from Bauman) under an article – nothing will happen. They are obviously watching who is saying what exactly. However, if you go out and start saying it aloud and on top of it, try to organise a small revolution – then you are considered as being mad.

No comments: