Follow by Email

Saturday, June 14, 2014

The benefits of a good cup of coffee


I was thinking about writing a post on tea, at first. But then decided that it might be too boring.

What is there to say about tea? Here in England they could write a novel actually on drinking tea, but their habit of adding milk to the liquid would put me off reading any such thing from the start.

But coffee…you can’t really spoil it by mixing it with milk, can you? In fact it can even improve the taste, depending on a particular blend of coffee. And the idea of coffee is so controversial, that there is even expression going on like: ‘I will have a sneaky cup of coffee’. I heard it from a friend recently and it made me pondering over the matter. Why do we call an undeniably nice thing as sneaky? This, of course, doesn’t concern only coffee, but wine, chocolate and even butter (!). Tell someone that this is your everyday diet and they will look at you thinking that you are mad.

At first I thought that science is there to blame. Every year there is something new. ‘Let’s ban butter!’, read once a slogan in a newspaper. ‘Don’t drink more than 3 units of wine (or is it 4?)!’ With coffee it is even more confusing, as one day they say it is bad for your health, but the next day it appears to be beneficial. Having followed some advice from the science for a couple of years or so, I decided that listening to it was the quickest road to the grave, because even if I would manage to somehow eat and drink healthily, I would die either from guilt or anxiety. I mean, who really keeps up with what is healthy and what is not?

But right, the coffee. I like coffee. As with my lunches (my post about lunches can be found on http://porcupineswisdom.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/nothing-better-than-good-lunch.html) I approach the matter quite seriously. I know that I like a number of good brands and try to budget accordingly. I also noticed that many mental people can’t live without coffee. Give me a chance and this is the only thing I would drink through the whole day (together with my wine, obviously).

But of course, since I do need to think about some remains of my health I restrict my consumption by alternating my coffee with green tea. I had to force it down on me for a week or so before I realised that it is an acquired taste. I even like it now.

So, what do coffee, lunches and tea have to do with madness, you might ask? And well, by thinking long and hard on the matter, I came to an incredible conclusion that once they give you a diagnosis, you can only defy it by embracing a happy, cheerful life full of treats. And it is not the science which is to blame if we decide to live highly regulated lives, but the idea of conformity. If someone said somewhere that this is what you should do, then you do it.

Well, no, you first should think about it. And if you are blessed with being mental, embrace it totally by knowing that you decided not to conform. Drink your coffee, smoke your cigarettes and don’t chase losing weight. We live once and we should live it whole-heartedly.

Being mad doesn’t equal being unhappy, and a diagnosis has the only weight that you give to it.

I think I might pay a sneaky visit to Starbucks right now (and this is sneaky as it would mean that I support Starbucks, which I don’t. But damn it, their coffees are good!).

And to conclude I will quote MUSE:

If we live a life in fear

 I'll wait a thousand years

 Just to see you smile again

(picture found on biosanctuary.com)

2 comments:

Constantijn said...

Can I have a Coke? Please

Ekaterina said...

so, I assume this is your favourite drink, then?:)