Follow by Email

Friday, January 30, 2015

Tips (while being mental) - 2


In one of my previous posts (http://porcupineswisdom.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/tips-while-being-mental-1.html) I discussed that being mental can have its benefits as well. I mostly talked about how to have fun in a hospital (psychiatric one, obviously), and today I will continue dwelling on the matter, because let’s face it: we are not openly talking about our experiences inside.

But we should do, really, because by trying to remain positive is that makes a difference between hell and heaven.

Let’s start with food. I can compare because I tried hospitals in both the Netherlands and the UK.

In the Netherlands, for instance, they serve delicious soups and they also ask you upon your arrival about a special treat you would like to have during the day. Let me tell you, if not for the psychiatrists, one could be deluded into being on a holiday trip. But don’t you worry, they make sure that you don’t forget where you are, and therefore, relaxing properly might not come that easily.

But it is doable.

On my first arrival when I was asked that question (about the special treat) I ordered champagne, but they don’t store it at the hospitals and I ended up with chocolate milk.

My morning would start with a nice cup of coffee, a glass of chocolate milk and a good portion of some music from the music channel in the living room. In retrospect, I was very stupid that I was so adamant to leave the hospital, because it was much better in there than going back into the ‘normal’ world and resuming my job as a financial analyst of banks (at that time).

The hospital had a swimming pool, a nice garden and yoga classes. The only minus was my doctor, but I don’t want to think about that idiot at this moment.

In the UK all depends on the staff, which is probably the case everywhere else. I was very lucky in this respect. They were so lovely that I managed to escape twice in a matter of two days, get drunk in a pub, organise a party among the patients and was allowed to have as many baths as I wanted. Even during the night. They would also make me a toast when I was hungry and salads at lunch.

I do wonder now as to why, why on earth I was so desperate to go back home?

But while my experience is only in two countries I did talk with some other mental people about their stays in other countries in the world.

Apparently they serve amazing food in France (not really surprising) and it is not that bad in Thailand.

And so, to conclude. The next time they come to take you away, try to confuse the crisis team by putting Napoleon XIV: 'They're coming to take me away' at full blast.

That will confuse them a bit.

Ha-ha-ha.
 

 

No comments: