Follow by Email

Thursday, November 3, 2016

The BREXIT AFFAIR. L'AFFAIRE BREXIT


Let me tell you a tale. Shakespeare himself would be bewildered by the next twist in this story, but allow me trying to sing it off. Well, kind of.
The story in itself (The Brexit affair) reminds me of one of the best psycho-dramas of all times. It has a beginning (well, kind of, and I will elaborate on it in the next paragraph), a disturbance of equilibrium (like the ruling of the High Court today), several mises en scenes, as well as dramatic changes of characters (from Cameron to May, from Hammond to Johnson, and from Farage being very British, to aiming at becoming American). We all know the narrative as well. The end is, however, and not very subtly, totally unclear, reminding me of that song ‘Are we Nearly there Yet’ that somehow all children end up singing at their Christmas play, here in the UK. And this is why, in my humble opinion, it fits more the genre of psycho-drama, rather than tragedy-comedy, but Shakespeare might disagree.

The beginning can be traced right back to when the EU was created, but I will skip the history part and go to my personal ‘affair’ with Brexit. Unlike most of my friends who woke up on the 24th of June with the impression that they had a ‘bad trip’, I, in all honesty, was sitting with a smug face, while drinking my coffee and reading the Guardian, processing the news that the UK voted out. My inner satisfaction wasn’t due to the result (I had an emotional outbreak later that day and fell out with half of my Facebook friends) but because I won a family argument. In the month of May, we all traveled to Dover by car (to spend our holidays in the other part of the EU, over the channel), which is something like five hours from Sheffield, and as any other family, we broke into an argument two hours into the drive.
The fallout was around Brexit. We are all Europeans in my family, and as it happens, all academics and so, my mum and my step-dad were telling me that ‘they will vote to remain, because they are not stupid! Just wait and see!’ I, however, was telling the opposite, ‘THEY WILL VOTE OUT’. You see, I do travel to work by train, and it didn’t take me too long to conclude that people in the North would simply vote out as a vote against the establishment. It is not the same as ‘Winter is Coming’ from Games of Thrones, but it isn’t that far off. Just visit Doncaster.

So, on that historic morning of the 24th of June, I called my mum.
                “Ha-ha-ha, so who is the smartest, the cleverest, the most insightful in the family, ah????”
I have to admit that my mum is better at maths.
In the next week or so though, I, obviously, started to become quite concerned. Would I, like, be deported from the country? Would they separate us from our cat, who is British and was born here, while I wasn’t? How to stay in the country which I deeply love but which suddenly became rather hostile? Not towards me, personally, but to foreigners in general?

I was upset until it struck me that people in the government don’t have a fucking clue about what to do next themselves. Despite May’s reassurance to Beware the Ides of March 2017, it is not necessary going to happen. Someone actually got the guts and took the government to court. The Brexit as such, is not a question of to be or not to be, it has already happened, but how it will end, this only God does know.


And while the ruling of High Court might be just a temporary diversion, I will still get a glass of champagne and party like a Russian (WATCH ME MAKING RUSSIAN BREAKFAST), especially that tomorrow I will get the new CD of my favorite British singer, Robbie Williams.


The Brexit Affair – British humour at its best.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brexit is the poisonous fruit of the rotten tree that is British democracy. It is the product of Parliament becoming ever less representative of peoples views or interests over decades that created an opening for ukip

At some point however it will dawn on those who voted leave that brexit will do nothing whatsoever to improve their lives and it will give them no more control over how they are governed and may indeed have the opposite effect.

What happens then god knows but i hope we turn on our politicians instead of on each other

Ekaterina said...

I do agree with you that the problem is internal, if you ask for my humble opinion it would be nice to see Corbyn as the prime minister or even wake up the Liberal Democrats from their sleep